Thursday, January 5, 2012

California, here we cooooooooome...

    So we have been in California for over 2 weeks now, in our house for over a week, and we just got internet today. Things seem to move kind of slow here, but I have to remember that we did all of this over a couple of holidays, so it was to be expected. Now that Christmas and New Years are behind us, maybe things will start to feel a little normal. Granted, normal for me is about 2,400 miles away. I still catch myself thinking, "wow, I can't believe I am so far from home". It hasn't totally kicked in that I am in CA and the rest of my family is at home in TN. I think the sadness hasn't hit me for one, I was just reunited with my husband I hadn't seen or barely talked to for 2 months, and two, because it feels like we are just on vacation. I think once we get all of our furniture and belongings it might start to fee real.
    Speaking of belongings, we don't have any. The only thing that we have are clothing, a blow-up mattress, and some of our electronics i.e. computers, cell phones, ipad2. I feel like a homeless person who decided to break into a house and live here for awhile. Our whole house is literally empty besides our bedroom which consists of my husbands trash and our blow-up mattress. But seriously, we know how blessed we are. We have a roof over our head, heat, and running water. We are doing a lot better than a lot of people, by the Grace of God. We know how blessed we are, and we acknowledge it every single day.
    There has been one major thing I have had to get used to while being out here . . . Having no car. It was fun at first . . . catching the bus, walking to places we wanted to go. But to be frank, it for real sucks being without a car. It makes what should be a 2 hour day, a 6 hour day. It makes me even more grateful for our car that we have at home, and even more anxious to get it! I will never take a car for granted again. There are positives to the bus at times . . .  1) You don't have to pay for gas. 2) You run into some pretty interesting people. I felt weird at first being a "bus rider" because it's so uncommon at home. Here, there is a bus stop every where you look.
    Adam arrived here the 19th of December. He had to come with the Air Force and immediately sign in at the DLI. I arrived the day after, and let me tell you...it was a long day, to say the least. 10 hours of travel, 11 if you count arriving at the Monterey Airport and taking the taxi to the lodge I was staying. I was bummed because Adam wasn't going to be able to stay with me that night. When I walked into my room, I flipped on the lights, turned to my right, and there he was . . . my incredible husband surprised/scared the heck out of me. I was so so happy. I had been away from him for 2 or 3 days, I don't remember, but it was so good to see him again! We got to spend 11 days together, uninterrupted. We woke up and went to sleep as we pleased. Went where ever we wanted, and had no where we had to be. It was an amazing 11 days. Do not get me wrong though. We were so busy. We wanted to get a jump start on everything. You see, most everyone goes home over that break, but we decided to stay here and get our house, start the process of shipping our goods, and all of that good stuff. We got everything done, which was a challenge when you don't have a car. haha It has definitely been a patience builder, and shown me how blessed I am to have Adam. In times where I am just stressed to the max and in a horrible mood, he is so calm and deals with me. He even laughs about it, which always ticks me off at the time, but makes me happy later.
    He is my greatest blessing. I am really the luckiest girl in the entire world, because of him. I am still in awe to God for giving Adam to me. He is just so understanding, patient, hard working, committed, loyal, and the list could go on and on. We have already had so many adventures while being here; walking 40090 miles down the coast to get cannery row, that we stayed at for 20 minutes, running for our lives to catch buses, getting on the wrong bus and having to stay on it for hours, chasing each other around the house laughing our butts off, the joy we had once the people handed us our keys and said "welcome home", getting our first dog and then having to turn around a give her back because she was too sick for me to take care of, him starting school today, me meeting a friend over facebook who I am still so excited to get here so we can be friends in real life (haha), and me and Adam just starting a whole new chapter together in a whole new place with absolutely no one or nothing being familiar to us. It is so exciting and such a thrill. I cannot wait to see just what else God has in store. He definitely has exceeded my expectations for 2012, and we are only 5 days into it. I cannot imagine what else he could possibly bless us with! Who else he could put in our lives. I cannot wait to have new friendships created, new lives brought into our lives. I have a lot of hopes for 2012 and the time we have left here.
    I miss our families so much. Thank you God for Skype!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment